Advisory: Plaque commemorates Native American land grant

November 13, 2002
nrhoads

ANN ARBOR—The University of Michigan will dedicate a new commemorative plaque that celebrates the 1817 gift of land from three Native American tribes that was earmarked for the nascent University. The ceremony will be at noon Nov. 21. That land, which was situated near today’s Comerica Building on Woodward Avenue in Detroit, was more than just a location for the new school. After the University’s move to Ann Arbor in 1837, sale of the original land gift provided a significant part of the basis for Michigan’s permanent endowment. ontinuing the celebration, and as part of its Native American Heritage Month observances, the University will sponsor two talks that same day. Professor Greg Dowd of the U-M Native American Studies Program will talk about “Evil Speech in Pontiac’s War, Detroit, 1763” at 4 p.m. in Room 3415 Mason Hall. rank Etawageshik, an active tribal leader and noted Native American artist, will speak at 7 p.m. in the Michigan Union Ballroom. His talk will be a personal perspective on “A Sense of Place—Tribal, State and University.” The events are free and open to the public. For background on the gift and more on the story of Native Americans at the U-M, visit: http://www.umich.edu/~newsinfo/Releases/2002/Nov02/r111302.html E-mail: jsteeh@umich.edu

jsteeh@umich.edu