U-Michigan spring commencement logistics
DATE: 10-11:30 a.m. Saturday, May 4, 2013. Stadium opens at 8 a.m. The graduate procession into the stadium begins at 8:45 a.m.
EVENT: The University of Michigan spring commencement ceremony at Michigan Stadium, when approximately 5,000 students will receive degrees. Twitter CEO and U-M alumnus Dick Costolo will deliver the commencement address and receive an honorary Doctor of Laws degree. Other honorary degrees:
- William Brehm, a tireless advocate and supporter of higher education.
- Suzanne Farrell, a world-renowned ballet dancer and educator.
- Rosabeth Kanter, a business leadership expert and former editor of the Harvard Business Review. Kanter will be the keynote speaker at Rackham’s University Graduate Exercises May 3.
- Dale Kildee, longtime member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Michigan. Kildee’s degree will be awarded at the UM-Flint ceremony May 5.
- David McCullough, best-selling author and historian.
- Jeffrey Sachs, economist and advocate for sustainable development. Sachs’ degree will be awarded at the UM-Dearborn ceremony April 28.
RSVP: Reporters planning to attend should contact Laura Lessnau at firstname.lastname@example.org in advance to request credentials. Umbrellas are not allowed in the stadium.
MEDIA CREDENTIALS: Credentials will be available at the media check-in table at the tunnel entrance on the east side of the stadium. Bring media identification.
PARKING: Media may park in reserved lot SC1 off Kipke Drive immediately north of the Crisler Center and east of the stadium near the tunnel entrance. A map of the parking lot is at: http://pts.umich.edu/maps/central_south.pdf. Parking permits will be distributed at the entrance to the parking lot beginning at 8:30 a.m. Bring media identification.
FOR BROADCAST MEDIA: Camera platforms and microphone-level audio mult boxes will be located about 40 feet from the stage. TV crews should enter the stadium through the tunnel on the east (Crisler Center) side. Cameras should be placed on the platform by 9:30 a.m.
LIVE STREAMING: Commencement will be streamed live online at www.umich.edu/news
WEB: For more information on each honorary degree recipient, visit: http://www.ur.umich.edu/update/archives/130318/honorary