What my startup did last semester: TechArb spring showcase
DATE: 5:30 – 7 p.m., April 13, 2012.
EVENT: The TechArb spring showcase, one of the largest entrepreneurial events of the year on the University of Michigan’s campus. More than 50 student-founded startups will pitch their ideas to potential investors and report on the their progress. The 23 companies that shared space in the accelerator this session will give a one-slide update. Companies that participated in other entrepreneurial classes and competitions at U-M this year will present posters and demonstrate products. The event is free and open to the public.
Here are just a few examples of their achievements and plans:
- The Beet Box healthy fast food cart has a spot in the popular eatery courtyard Mark’s Carts in Ann Arbor. The team plans to partner with other wellness-oriented businesses to make a positive impact on their customers and in the community this summer.
- DIIME tested its Hemafuse device at the blood bank of the U-M hospital. The company is developing a syringe-style device to replace the current “soup ladle” method of blood transfusion used during pregnancy complications in Ghana. DIIME will move to the Ann Arbor SPARK East business accelerator. In May, the team will travel to Ghana for market research.
- Fetchnotes’ beta version notetaking system for the web and cell phones attracted a user base of more than 3,300. The company will launch a public version on April 13.
- Brio Device is prototyping a medical device that will make it easier for EMTs and paramedics to insert a breathing tube into patient’s windpipe in emergencies.
- Torch Hybrid Marine finalized its hybrid boat design concept and proved customer demand.
PLACE: TechArb, 500 E Washington St., Suite 10, Ann Arbor. A map and directions are at http://cfe.umich.edu/techarb/about-us/.
SPONSORS: TechArb is sponsored by the College of Engineering’s Center for Entrepreneurship, the Zell Lurie Institute for Entrepreneurial Studies and the Office of the Vice President for Research.
MORE INFORMATION: TechArb companies: http://cfe.umich.edu/techarb/portfolio/